Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Those Pesky Lawns and School Supplies

As I drove to the store after having dropped Andrew off at the church, I saw something a bit unusual. Within 500 feet of each other I noticed a man mowing his lawn with one of those old-fashioned push-mowers, and a woman crouched in her lawn trimming the grass with a pair of scissors. Hmmm...interesting. I didn't realize the economy was that bad.

On a completely different note, I've suddenly realized it's that time of the year again: notebooks and pencils, binders, gluesticks; an array of school supplies are appearing in every store. College students are beginning to plan their class line-up for this upcoming semester, and I'm feeling a bit left out. I almost emailed one of my old art professors for a copy of this year's syllabus. It's my second year out of school, and to be honest I actually miss it, even though I spent almost three of my four school years wishing it was over. I've only finished two paintings since I graduated last year, mostly because I just don't have the motivation. I usually get home from work around 3 or 3:30, so I have plenty of time. And I'm usually not exhausted when I get home. I keep making the excuse that I don't have a proper workplace (which is true), but it's a bad excuse for an artist. I also make the excuse that I don't have the money for supplies, but that never stopped me in college. I used to paint whatever I could get my hands on. Which reminds me how sorely I miss garbage diving in the art building at Houghton. Ah, what treasures I used to find. People would toss out the most interesting and useful things.

1 comment:

MommaD said...

do you know that the environmentally friendly John mows the lawn with a rotary push mower? we bought it when nate was a baby, John thinks that not using a gasoline powered mower for as small a lawn as we have! like your bloggy mrs. m